Sunday, June 14, 2009

T & LThe Continuing Story...

Yes, indeed, PTA was a complete riot. We set a standard that, to my knowledge, has not been parallelled for that particular elementary school. While PTA was fun, as L said, we began to broaden our horizons. Both being single mothers, we began taking our kids on little weekend get-aways together, have BBQs and parties, sometimes for no apparent reason. We celebrated every holiday together, birthdays and our daily grind. L became more like a sister to me than just a best friend. We have weathered it all and we did it together.

Over the course of time, it became hard to tell where L's family ended and my started. All of our kids regarded us as their mothers. Fortunately if L was tied up with school, I was there and if I got bogged down with work, she was there. It was the perfect scenario.

I'm going to tell this story, because I've already had some wine today and I feel strong enough to do it.

In November of 2004, L's youngest son passed away. This was a particularly hard blow to us all. He was a vibrant, outgoing, smart, handsome kid that could charm the pants off of the most hardcore person. He was also my youngest son's best friend and my son. In hindsight, I guess this was to prepare us for things to come.

"The Stick", as he was known, played football. To honor him and his memory, we all had his jersey number on the back of our cars. Many people in the area recognized this fact, but few outside of the immediate family displayed the big 36. Two years later, in December of 2006, L called me and asked who drove a white Blazer. Apparently there had been an horrific accident and the only thing left of the car was the number 36. We both knew who it was. My middle son passed away in that accident. My youngest son was critically injured. The only way the police knew to contact us was by that number 36, the car was so demolished. Even in death, we were tied together.

Yes, indeed, we have been through it all, but we are still standing. I will say that for me, it is possible, I wouldn't have made it without L and her strength and love.

Back to you L. Lets talk about the road trips or some other lighthearted aspect, now that we got this out of the way. Hugs, T

No comments:

Post a Comment